Sunday, May 08, 2005

Guarana Soda


Last week I was selected as the "designated driver" So it was soft drinks for me all night. We went to this bar in a Brazilian BBQ. We didn't eat there. We are anxiously awaiting the opening of the new one on the Corner of Mac Arthur & Main by John Wayne Airport.

Anyway, I had an Antarctica brand Guarana soda. It was awesome. So awesome I bought 6 to take home and now I decided to do a review on the drink I had there.

From a Guarana Website :

"Guarana (pronounced gwa-ra-naa), a berry that grows in Venezuela and Brazil , takes its name from the Guarani tribe in Brazil, who believe that the plant first grew from the eyes of a divine child who had been killed by a serpent. The botanical name of this plant, Paullinia Cupana, was derived from the name of the German botanist C.F. Paullini who discovered it in the18th century. Guarana may indeed boost energy, since its main ingredient is guaranine, which is chemically identical to caffeine "

You will feel pretty neat-o drinking something from a rain forrest! The color of the soda is the color of apple cider. The flavor is not too strong. Unlike an energy drink (Red Bull, Monster, etc) its not so sweet and flavored like vitamins. It is simply delicious. It has a berry like taste combined with a faint apple taste. Its pretty bubbly and is one of the best soft drinks I have ever tasted. Very light and very refreshing and a unique flavor that I believe will appeal to most people. The added bonus is you get a "kick" of energy when you drink it!

Just about every Brazilian BBQ restaurant has it. So you can get it there. I also found a Brazilian Grocery Store in Los Angeles that has it and its pretty cheap there. You can even mail order it.

There are other brands of Guarana soda. But they pretty much taste the same from what I have been told (ie Coke vs Pepsi).

Amazon Brazilian BBQ
1445 S. Lemon St. Fullerton, CA
714-447-1200

Brazlian pickup or mail order grocery store
10926 Venice Blvd #105, Culver City, CA 90232
310-837-4291 or 310-837-4299


$2.50 ea. at the restaurant $9.00 for a 12 pack at the store

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diamond - I don't know if you you know this - but Guarana is found (or at least used to be) found in many "diet" and other supplements (i.e. Ripped Fuel) or other what they call Natural/Herbal diet supplements. Also found in alot of those "natural" energy drinks as the source of protein.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazon in Fullerton tastes much better and costs a little bit less than Agora Churrascaria in Irvine. I haven't tried Green Field Churrascaria or Fogo de Chao but I've heard good things about those two places. I haven't tried Guarana but I like trying new and exotic sodas so I'll be sure to order it next time.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Mirella Matthiesen (mikix) said...

Guarana is the best.
I am Brazilian and this soda is one of the things I most miss from Brazil.
Great post

2:20 PM  
Blogger Mark-David said...

This stuff is great and there are a variety of "types" available regionally in Brazil. Some are along the lines of a more syrup flavor, others more carbonated. You actually tent to have a favorite once you've tried some different brands.

Though the best Brazilian soda pop is Cajuinha Sao Geraldo. It is made from Cashew fruit.... really hard to describe and hard to find, though well worth the effort

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home